prefers_magneto (
prefers_magneto) wrote in
themutanthood2019-05-22 09:29 pm
Entry tags:
The Space Fox Saga [for coffeevixen]
Erik let himself into his office at the school - just down the hall from Charles Xavier's - with a wave of his hand, setting down some books on the corner of his desk and walking around to sit behind it to work on his lesson plan for the following day.
When the doorbell rang, he looked up in vague interest. When he didn't hear the door open, he went himself and opened it.
"Yes?"
When the doorbell rang, he looked up in vague interest. When he didn't hear the door open, he went himself and opened it.
"Yes?"

no subject
She smiles nervously at the man who greets her, and keeps her voice down. "Hi, there. I ah... I've --I'm hoping I have the right place." There's a hint of Chicago in her voice as she speaks, but there's a lengthy pause with some shifting of feet as she gathers up her courage. "I heard it through the grapevine that maybe this was a safe place to come." Her voice drops to a whisper, and oh, please say she's at the right place. "I'm a Mutant."
Hold breath. Wait for instruction. Get ready to run.
no subject
He's a little outspoken on mutant rights. Sometimes more so than Charles would like.
no subject
"I'm sorry. I don't." Perhaps a television would benefit her, or maybe picking up a newspaper once in a while (with what money, she doesn't know, but that's beside the point).
no subject
"Who told you about this place?"
no subject
"I'm guessing you're one of the founders?"
no subject
no subject
no subject
The door of his office opens ahead of them and he leads her inside.
"Have a seat," he tells her, moving to sit on the other side of the large stainless steel desk.
"What's your name?" he asks, taking out a form and a pen.
no subject
A small chuckle, though, at 'get an education', but it's mum for the moment as Charlotte finds the door's apparent automation fascinating (Duh, 'Magneto'...), and sits herself across from him once situated.
"Charlotte Lowell."
no subject
"Age?"
no subject
"Twenty-two."
no subject
It's pretty common for mutants to have nowhere else to go.
"You're going to live here year-round?" he clarifies.
no subject
"Is it a requirement to stay? Not that it would be bad, but financially speaking, I'm a might strapped."
no subject
no subject
Charlotte gives a short, quiet laugh at his 'three square meals'. "Does it sound pretty nice? Sure. But it also sounds an awful lot like something way too good to be true." She drops her gaze to her hands briefly before looking back. "I get by, but I'll let you know if anything changes."
no subject
He closes the file and gets up.
"I'll show you the facilities." He makes a gesture for her to precede him out the door and the door opens for her.
no subject
Charlotte is still fascinated by the door, even if she knows its Erik's doing. "How old were you?"
no subject
Erik gets a lot of 'how old were you when' questions. About his powers, about the war and the death of his parents, about first finding other mutants. The tattoo on his arm is small and discrete, but it's not hidden under clothing; he's wearing a polo shirt. He doesn't know what she's read in the papers. She could be asking anything from where he's standing. Or, rather, walking as he leads her towards the kitchen.
no subject
no subject
"I was thirteen. I was separated from my parents by the guards at the entrance to a concentration camp and I reached for them. The gate bent in half. They had to knock me out with the butt of a rifle." He glances again. "But they do say our powers tend to manifest in times of emotional duress," he notes dryly. "How did you first get yours?"
no subject
Charlotte gives a sad smile as she shakes her head. "I was about thirteen. No real manifestation of duress." She looks up at him. "It was the middle of the night, and I was sleeping. Having a nightmare, I think." Her gaze falls to her shoes. "I just know it was excruciatingly painful when it happened, and I'd cried loud enough for my father to hear.
"That didn't go so well."
no subject
He pushes open the kitchen door.
"Do you want anything to eat before we continue the tour?"
no subject
She shakes her head at the offer of food, still making the attempt to put all her scattered thoughts and emotions into some semblance of order. "No, thank you. Perhaps later." Go on, Charlotte. Change the subject because you're not sure of what else to do when someone offers you food.
"What does a typical day in the life look like here?"
no subject
no subject
"And do you teach?"
no subject
"I do. Charles tries to keep me to purely objective subjects like math and science, but I insist on teaching a history course. He doesn't understand the history of oppression like I do, but that's probably why he doesn't want me conveying it to children."
no subject
Charlotte huffs out a short, unamused laugh. "Granted, the United States government and education system could certainly stand to have a lesson about their own history drilled into its brains." She shrugs with a half-smile. "But the people are damn well taking a stand." If anyone missed the Civil Rights Movement? They would have to be willfully blind, ignorant, all of the above, or dead.
She waves off her small tirade, following it with a sheepish smile. "Sorry. I think it's great, even if he doesn't think so. Hard to explain to people what they don't quite understand."
no subject
He looks at her. "People standing up and saying 'no' is the only way that things change."